Sunday, August 10, 2008

Once more unto the beach...

It has been rather a long gap between drinks, but something new should be written here, being a new year, which is well over halfway through.  It took a while to remember the address, let alone the username and password.

I have just bought a brand new laptop, a MacBook Pro, and it's great.  Very fast, excellent graphics and looks really cool.  Given the wireless broadband service at home, I can write this in front of the fire, which is a huge advantage in Melbourne's freezing weather.  Hey, I know this isn't a spellbinding, riveting post, but it's something and might inspire better work later.

So what's new (apart from the laptop)?  Well, I am taking a bit of leave from the library; only a week and a half, but it is a new experience.  In the past, taking leave was not something that really happened.  As a musician, you work and practise, and 'take leave' when there there is no work.  As a teacher, breaks come at the end of term or semester.  So now, having organised people to take over for me, I have a week and a half to play with, for which I am actually paid.  Amazing!  So Robin and I head down to Tassie for a brief change of scene.  It will be even more bracing than Melbourne, but a change is as good as, etc.  And Bruny Island should have lots of beaches, being an island and all.  Hence the post title.

Must go and warm up some leftovers, Doctor Who is on tonight, excellent fare for a mindless Sunday evening.

Cheers
The Farmster

No comments: